Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oven Roasted Herb Crusted Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots


The meal that I had prepared tonight was something that I have actually been saving for a really long time. I pulled a picture from a magazine five years ago and have been saving it for a special occasion. Finally I used it and this was the first time I have ever cooked a whole chicken like this before. The chicken turned out perfect to my surprise. I was a little worried that it was going to be a bit dry however was the complete opposite. The spice rub that I used consisted of Black pepper corn that I grind ed up. I found that this gives the right consistency for a rub like this rather then regular pepper that is already ground up. I also did the same with the Sea Salt and Fennel seeds. The mixture also included Marjoram and Thyme. I rubbed the entire Chicken with this mixture both on top and on the bottom. Then I also rubbed underneath the skin of the chicken and tossed the rest of the mixture inside of the chicken. I also added about 6 garlic cloves to the inside and a couple sprigs of rosemary. After the entire chicken was covered I melted a half a stick of butter and pretty much spread that all over the chicken and underneath the skin. I think that this was one of the contributing factors to the skin being so crunchy and tasty. On the side I cut up some carrots and potatoes and seasoned them with more kosher salt and Italian herb seasoning. After about an hour and 15 minutes the chicken came out perfect and was so good it could stand up to most any 3 to 4 star restaurant.

1 comment: