Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Swedish Meatballs with "Brown Sauce" Potatoes and Lingon Berry sauce

Ok I have finally made my first attempt at making the national dish of Sweden. It's not to bad, actually it's pretty good. There really isn't much to it. However I do have to explain that the meatballs were pre-made and the sauce was made from a packet that I added cream and water to. Even that though I added to much cream and the sauce was not thick enough, but whatever. My real opinion about the dish though is that there just isn't enough. I had this other swedish dish a couple days ago that tasted really good but brought me to the conclusion about swedish food and people. They really like there sauce here. The other dish I had was salmon with capers and I think potatoes. It was good as well, but the the server put so much sauce over everything that I was a little shocked. The "brown sauce" in the title is put that way because when I ask other Swedes about it they all have given me the same response, it is simply "brown sauce"! hahaha, it's kind of odd to me that they do not have a better name for it other then brown sauce, it is not to appetizing.
I myself like sauce but not to the point where everything else is swimming in it. I think that if something needs to be covered up with a sauce or ketchup or salt that it simply does not have a good taste, lack of taste or the person cooking just does not work very well with flavoring. Rereading that last thing sentence that I just put down sounded kind of funny. I do not mean to sound full of myself but I do think that flavoring is very important when cooking. Whether it is anything from simmering to seasoning. I really think about flavoring a lot when I do most of my cooking. I like to experiment with different olive oils, and other marinades as well. They can make such a difference on the dish and individual items that are in the entree. Then after one can figure out how to flavor things properly the next step is combining the right flavored items on one plate to make a meal that coincides with each other and makes you think, Wow this is great and everything goes with everything else on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment