Thursday, October 7, 2010

3 Country Risotto

My first Risotto I have both ever made and eaten. Honestly, I have never had risotto in my life, though have been wanting to try it for a long time. The problem has always been that when I have the chance to order it I always go for something else. Anyway, This Risotto was amazing for my first time making it and not even knowing what it is supposed to taste like. Realizing that I can make this at this quality from nothing really was a big confidence booster, for some reason I was always a bit intimidated by making it. Know after making I realize where I can do better and make an even better risotto. This one was a simple cheese risotto with porcini mushrooms, however the mushrooms were dried, but turned out good in the end. The reason I named this dish 3 country Risotto is because I used 3 different cheeses from 3 different european countries. I used aged Pecorino Cheese from Florence, Italy, Gouda Cheese from Holland and Vaslerbotten cheese from Malmo, Sweden. The Pecorino being a stronger, bit harder cheese mixed very well with the creamier lighter tasting Gouda and Vaslerbotten. To be honest I was just kind of working with what I had. I still have about 6 different cheeses in my fridge however I knew I could not mix certain ones and came to the decision of these three cheeses which turned out to blend very well. Definitely a rich, creamy dish and is one of those things that I think would be a great starter dish in a restaurant served definitely served in a smaller portion then what I have depicted above.

2 comments:

  1. Risotto is so yummy. I too just had it for the first time this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have to tell me how to make it!!


    Esther!!! (spaaaaaaaaaain)

    ReplyDelete